Running Away with Running Stitch
April 4 - 7, 2024
Rena Wood · renawood.com
Workshop at a glance
Explore line, color, texture, and more all through the meditative act of continuous stitching.
- Introduction to embroidery tools- threads, needles, hoops, etc.
- Introduction to hand embroidery
- Learn about the running stitch and its uses
- Discussion on color transitions and value gradations
- Variety of Fabrics: Cotton, Silk, Organza, and Linen
- Various Embroidery Thread and Stitching Materials
- Range of Hand Sewing Needles
- Embroidery Hoops and Frames
- Multiple embroidery samples and the start of an individual project
- Knowledge and self-confidence to continue mindfully stitching at home
Fiber artist Rena Wood received her BFA in Fibers from the Kansas City Art Institute and MFA from the Department of Craft/Material Studies at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an Associate Professor of Fiber Art at Tennessee Tech University’s Appalachian Center for Craft. Previously, she was a Visiting Instructor at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania and a Visiting Assistant Professor at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY. Rena has been an Artist-in-Residence at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft in Houston, TX, Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, and at the Craft Alliance in St. Louis, MO. Her work has been shown nationally in solo and group exhibitions, most recently at the Sarratt Gallery at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN and at the Leedy Voulkos Art Center in Kansas City, MO. Rena is a recipient of the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Individual Artist Fellowship in Craft for 2023.
Dive into the beauty of hand embroidery, focusing on the use of a running stitch, a simple yet expansive embroidery technique that allows for mindfulness and meditation through the act of stitching. Discover how this singular stitch can create intricate patterns, textures, and designs through repetition, material exploration, and time. Hands-on demonstrations and personalized guidance will be offered, along with plenty of time to sit and stitch and explore new ideas.
COURSE FEE: $460
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.