Ready, Set, Go: Spin, Twist, Ply
July 24 - 29, 2022
Jerry Bleem · jerrybleem.com
Workshop at a glance
Explore spinning, plying, ropemaking and looping for functional, visual, and conceptual ends.
- Preparing wool for spinning
- Spinning wool on drop spindle and spinning wheel
- Plying handspun and commercial lines
- Structuring lines by looping (crochet and knitting)
- Commercial yarn
- Found flexible lines, e.g., stripped cloth
- How to prepare wool for spinning
- How to use a drop spindle and spinning wheel
- How to ply and set yarn
- Making rope
- Structuring possibilities for flexible lines [introduction to crochet and knit]
- Project based on student’s interests
Jerry Bleem teaches in the Department of Fiber and Material Studies of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He earned his MFA at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and his M.Div. from the Catholic Theological Union at Chicago. The Illinois Arts Council has recognized his work with seven grants and individual artist fellowships. Bleem participated in numerous residencies including the Roswell Artist-in-Residence program.
During this workshop students will explore the world of fiber and learn the basics of spinning, plying, ropemaking and looping for functional, visual, and conceptual ends. You will discover looping techniques (crochet and knit) to organize our strings. Further examining material possibilities, will help participants to rediscover what your fiber ancestors did during the last several millennia. Emphasis will be placed on skill development and establishing a learning community in which all are teachers, learners, and experimenters. Familiarity with spinning, knitting and/or crochet will be helpful but not necessary. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $690 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.