June 12 - 17, 2022
Magda Gluszek · missmagdag.com
Workshop at a glance
Create figures with a visually readable story by sculpting gesture and subtle body language.
- Solid sculpting and hollowing of clay forms
- Working with a basic, adjustable armature
- Sculpting from reference images
- Constructing a small maquette
- Clay (preferred clay: cone 5 red B-mix or similar)
- Basic wooden sculpting tools
- Scoring or needle tool
- Figurative reference images
- Knowledge of basic human anatomy and proportions
- Using a small maquette to scale up to a larger form
- Production of one full-figure clay sculpture
- Production of one small maquette
Magda Gluszek is a figurative ceramic sculptor who lives in Lakeside, Arizona and is a full-time art instructor and the gallery director at Northland Pioneer College in Show Low, Arizona. She earned an MFA from the University of Florida, and her artwork has been displayed nationally and internationally. Gluszek has been Artist-in-Residence at Arrowmont as well as in Greece, Spain, and Italy. Gluszek creates her artwork from clay as well as mixed media.
The body is an amazing vehicle for emotional expression. Subtle gestures, such as flexed toes or curled fingers can be used to communicate rich visual narratives. During this workshop students will produce one full-figure sculpture with a solid building technique, which they will learn to hollow and re-assemble. Class demonstrations will include basic proportions and anatomy will be demonstrated and the use of a simple armature. You will create small maquette studies and use them for inspiration, composition planning, and surface experimentation. Participants may take their finished greenware home, or have it fired post workshop. Bringing visual inspiration to class in the form of reference images/sketches is encouraged. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $690 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.