Matching Enamel Jewelry with Your Outfit
October 10 - 15, 2021
Mi-Sook Hur · misookhur.com
Workshop at a glance
Using a variety of overglaze paints with enamels, you will achieve beautiful images and patterns on copper.
- Drawing and painting with vitreous enamel
- Use a variety of materials such as watercolor enamels, underglaze pencils, overglaze china paints, and pen and ink
- Refresh garments using overglaze china paints, and pen and ink
- Make adornment to match your garments
- Watercolor enamels, paint, pen and ink
- Vitreous enamels
- Experiment with drawing and painting in enamels
- Refining your techniques
- Creating small enamel pieces such as brooches or pendants to match personal garments
Mi-Sook Hur is an award-winning enamelist and metalsmith who is professor in the School of Art and Design at East Carolina University. Her work focuses on the realistic images inspired by nature and she explores the modern studies of Limoges techniques. Most recently, she wrote a chapter about her painterly techniques in The Art of Fine Enameling by Karen Cohen. Hur is a former Artist-in-Residence at John Michael Kohler Arts Center and at the Jentel Foundation.
This workshop focuses on drawing and painting in vitreous enamel. Students should bring to class photographs of their favorite dresses and/or silk scarves with patterns. You will refresh the garments using watercolor enamels, underglaze pencils, overglaze china paints, and pen and ink. Participants will learn to render, draw, mix colors, make marks, and add details on enameled copper. During class you will complete a series of small enamel pieces for brooches, earrings, and pendants which match the outfit of your choice. No previous drawing and painting experience are required. Open to all skill levels, however basic enameling skills, such as sifting and firing, are helpful.
COURSE FEE: $600 · download the materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.