Gourding For the Love of It
March 24 - 27, 2022
Trustina Fafa Sabah · gourdsbyfafa.com
Workshop at a glance
Discover fundamental techniques needed to transform a gourd into a stunning piece of art.
- Cutting, cleaning sanding a gourd
- Gourd dying (and painting where necessary)
- Wood burning designs into a gourd
- Stipple carving
- Finishing methods/techniques for your gourd art
- Gourds-different shapes and sizes
- Jigsaw for cutting and rotary tool
- Scrapers, wire mesh or sponges for cleaning
- Wood burner or wood burning pen
- Ink dyes, Formula 49, and acrylic paint
- How to cut, clean and make gourd art by using wood burning, carving and ink dyeing techniques
- Creating gourd art to take home
Trustina Fafa Sabah is a gourd artist originally from Ghana who lives in Baltimore, Maryland. After discovering her love and talent for gourd art, she founded Gourds by Fafa, LLC where she creates and sells her work. She uses the techniques of carving, woodburning, patina work, and mixed media in her art and works with the shape, blemishes, and size of the gourd to reveal the beauty that may be obscured. Sabah’s work is currently being exhibited and sold by The Barn at Wellspring in Maryland.
There is something intimate that happens to an artist and their gourd. In this workshop you will discover yours and go on many adventurous journeys with your gourds. Students will learn how to prepare the gourd for crafting and creating gourd art including cutting, cleaning, and sanding. The techniques covered during class include creating, choosing, and placing a design, wood burning your design, dyeing, and carving. These are foundational and fundamental techniques participants can use to build on to create their own works. Once you get the techniques down, the real fun begins. Open to all skill levels and come to class with an open heart, an open mind, and a hand that is willing to work.
COURSE FEE: $460 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.