Encaustic Painting: Between the Layers
October 16 - 21, 2022
Jodi Reeb · jodireeb.com
Workshop at a glance
Explore exciting encaustic painting techniques, demonstrations, and discussions about innovative ways of thinking and creating.
- Build layers of repetition using masks and stencils
- Explore paint translucency and opacity
- Carve and scrape paintings to dimensional affects
- Embed objects to add physical texture and surface
- Collage personal photo-based imagery into your paintings
- Become confident using Encaustic paint
- Explore adding subtle color using oil pigment sticks
- Create translucent layers using encaustic medium
- Combine personal photos printed on tissue paper as collage
- Develop individual style and aesthetic
- Gain knowledge and confidence using encaustic paint and techniques
- Students will learn composition and design
- Strengthen your color theory and color-mixing knowledge
- Create several finished paintings
Jodi Reeb has been a full-time artist and teacher in Minneapolis for over 25 years creating paintings and sculptures. She received a BFA in printmaking at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and her work has been shown nationally and is in numerous private and corporate collections. Reeb was awarded the Hinge Arts Residency in 2020 through Springboard for the Arts and received the Minnesota Artist’s Initiative Grant in 2021 and 2018. She is a CORE Instructor for R&F Handmade Paints and teaches workshops in her studio and across the country including the International Encaustic Conference.
During this workshop students will explore encaustic painting to create translucent, layered, smooth, and textural surfaces only achieved with molten beeswax. The focus is on image making and the development of your aesthetic and artistic growth. Class discussions include a history and description of encaustic painting, basic supplies and tools needed as well as safety, preparation of supports, and application of grounds and fusing. Demonstrations will provide an overview of techniques such as image transfers, collage using photographs printed on tissue, oil pigment sticks, and creating texture working with masks and stencils. Participants will have time to create, join feedback discussions, and participate in one-on-one instruction. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $690 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.