Collage and Construction: Explore Fabric Embellishment and Natural Dyes
July 18 - 23, 2021
Laura Mongiovi · lauramongiovi.com
Workshop at a glance
Explore textile methods including Shibori and embellishment techniques to create two- and three-dimensional artworks.
- Exploring textiles with a mixed media approach
- Shibori folding methods and dyeing
- Embellishments and collage with fabrics
- Cotton, polyester, metallic, and/or embroidery materials
- Colored pencils, graphite pencils, and/or ink pens
- Shibori dyeing with fabric
- Working with both two-dimensional and three-dimensional textiles
- Working with natural dyes and resist methods
Laura Mongiovi is an associate professor of Art and Design at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. She received an MFA from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a BFA from Florida State University. Mongiovi exhibits her work and teaches across the curriculum. She conceived and co-organized the “Deeper Than Indigo: Southeast Textile Symposium,” is a recipient of the Northeast Florida Artist Grant and participated in Arrowmont’s Pentaculum Residency.
This workshop will explore various textile processes. Students will utilize Shibori folding methods to produce patterns on cotton fibers with natural dye. Traditional and non-traditional embellishment techniques will be introduced so that participants can explore options when developing and experimenting with ideas and sharing with others. Students can choose to work two- or three-dimensionally. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $600 · download the materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.