Cloisonné Enameling: Architects of Light
October 17 - 22, 2021
Ashley Gilreath · ashleygilreath.com
Workshop at a glance
Challenge your knowledge of enamel through experimental color application while focusing on the cloisonné process. Develop your own designs using personal visual language.
- Basic sifting and firing techniques for copper, applying silver and gold foil
- Cloisonné enamel process and wet packing color, blending and layering effects
- Creating personal imagery using design-thinking strategies
- Copper/Silver sheet and Silver/Gold Foil
- Cloisonné wire
- Transparent and Opaque Enamels
- Kiln and Torch
- Polishing and Grinding Tools
- Cloisonné pieces for jewelry projects
- Test tiles of various pigments and techniques
- Refine your motor skills and train your eyes to critically assess your artwork in the future
Ashley graduated from the Metal Design program at East Carolina University and has been an Artist-In-Residence at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts(TN), Lillstreet Art Center in Chicago, and the Pocosin Arts School of Fine Craft(NC). She has exhibited at the Museum of Arts and Design, Fuller Craft Museum, The Metals Museum, and has been published by Lark Books and American Craft Magazine. She teaches workshops in both metalsmithing and enameling at craft schools around the country. Ashley’s artwork and jewelry explore the hidden narratives of everyday objects, and our relationships with heirlooms as artifacts of genealogical history.
Cloisonné enameling is a process in which thin silver wires are formed, shaped, then filled with fused colored glass. This workshop will cover several enameling methods, starting with a foundation in basic enameling skills before moving on to more advanced techniques. Demos will include how to apply metallic foil to glass, how to wet pack enamel, grinding and polishing, and alternative finishing techniques. Discussions will also include color theory and how layering, painting, and blending the enamel gives an illusion of depth within your work. This class is for those students who wish to be more illustrative with their enameling or are ready to give their artwork a new life. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $675 · Download the materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.