Capturing The Moment
June 26, 2022 - July 8, 2022
Sisavanh Phouthavong Houghton · sisavanhphouthavong.com
Workshop at a glance
Explore various watercolor techniques through individual instructions while developing a personal style and gaining inspiration for future paintings.
- Color blocking and theory
- Glazing, texture and painting techniques
- Preparing multiple surfaces for paint handling
- Choosing between colors and papers
- Strathmore watercolor cold press
- Winston Newton professional watercolors
- Various brushes, papers, pens, and inks
- Beginning a plein aire painting sketchbook
- Completed or in-progress individual personal paintings and master studies
Sisavanh Phouthavong Houghton is a Lao American mixed media visual artist born in Vientiane, Laos. She is professor of painting at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro. Her refugee and immigrant post-Vietnam War inspired artwork have been exhibited in museums and galleries throughout the country. She was the 2017 Tennessee Arts Individual Artist Fellowship recipient and is a member of the Tennessee Watercolor Society.
This workshop is for students to explore and experiment with watercolor through various methods, personal expression, and concepts. The class includes an introduction to various materials and techniques and discovering the importance of elemental and design principles. Participants will participate in demonstrations, plein air painting, critiques, and problem-solving. You should bring to class quality photographs for reference and images for master studies. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $1,210 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.