Book Bound and Determined
August 15 - 20, 2021
Jerry Bedor Phillips · jerryfish.net
Workshop at a glance
Dive into a good book by binding some yourself and exploring easy ways to make creative artists books.
- Introduction to bookbinding and book art projects
- Binding journal, sketchbooks, and notebooks
- Discovering traditional binding techniques
- Scrapbooking and decorative papers
- Found paper ephemera: magazine clippings, old book pages, printed materials
- Watercolor and graphite pencils
- Creating paper art through journals, sketchbooks, and notebooks
- Learning traditional binding techniques such as the Coptic and French Tape/Strap
- Techniques for basic art structures
Jerry Bedor Phillips is an artist who lives in Nashville, Tennessee and is the building manager, studio assistant, and gallery coordinator for the Vanderbilt University Department of Art. He received his BFA in Printmaking and Drawing from Murray State University and his MFA in Printmaking and Drawing from Bradley University. Phillips’ book binding experience includes workshops and classes with artists Nicole Hand and Beth Linn and working as a book repair technician with conservator Ana Lyra in the Special Collections area of the Cullum Davis Library at Bradley University.
In this basic bookbinding workshop students will learn to bind their own journals, sketchbooks, and notebooks and is a great introduction to bookbinding and easy book art projects. You will have hands on experience with traditional binding techniques such as the Coptic and French Tape/Strap bindings and discover basic book art structures like tunnel books, accordion folds, and flag books. Participants will also use found paper ephemera such magazine clippings, old book pages with text, printed materials to incorporate into their work. You will leave class with your own unique sketchbooks and artist books. Open to all skill levels.
COURSE FEE: $600 · materials list
The health and safety of students, faculty, and staff is a priority at Arrowmont. To that end, a Personal Conduct & Social Distancing Policy has been adopted to foster a safe learning environment during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here for the detailed Policy.