Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts is taking an active role in shaping the future of a more diverse and equitable arts and craft administrative field in central Appalachia. This internship opportunity provides arts administration experience to those who want a career within their own Appalachian communities. Arrowmont welcomes BIPOC applicants (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) currently residing in, or from one of the qualifying central Appalachian counties to apply. (See qualifying counties at the bottom of this page.)
At least 40% of the position will be working closely with Arrowmont’s Youth Education Program Manager planning and implementing ArtReach on the Road youth outreach program. The remaining 60% will be determined based on the selected applicant’s interests. This may include but is not limited to: programming, development, marketing, operations management, studio management. Arrowmont considers individuals who are mature, team-oriented, and self-motivated. Excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to lift 25 lbs. are required for the position.
This is a ten week internship based on the applicant’s availability. The selected intern receives a $6,000 stipend for a ten-week internship, housing on Arrowmont’s campus, meals (meals on-campus during National Workshop weeks, or a meal stipend), travel reimbursement, and financial support for professional development opportunities (i.e. conferences, workshops) occurring during or near the internship appointment. The selected intern is expected to work 40 hours per week for the duration of their internship.
Arrowmont is committed to the ongoing and long journey towards creating an inclusive, diverse arts and crafts community that welcomes and supports everyone. Arrowmont’s full Diversity Values Statement: https://www.arrowmont.org/diversity/.
Slideroom Application Link: https://arrowmont.slideroom.com
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021
Application Fee: $0.00
Applications will be accepted September 1 – November 1, 2021. Apply at arrowmont.slideroom.com
January – April, 2022
Dates to be determined with selected applicant. Arrowmont asks for a commitment of at least ten weeks to be considered.
Kentucky: Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Greenup, Harlan, Hart, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Wayne, Whitley, and Wolfe.
North Carolina: Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Caldwell, Cherokee, Clay, Davie, Forsyth, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Stokes, Surry, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin, and Yancey.
Ohio: Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Gallia, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mahoning, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Vinton, and Washington.
Tennessee: Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Cannon, Carter, Claiborne, Clay, Cocke, Coffee, Cumberland, De Kalb, Fentress, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Lewis, Loudon, McMinn, Macon, Marion, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Overton, Pickett, Polk, Putnam, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Smith, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, Van Buren, Warren, Washington, and White.
Virginia: Alleghany, Bath, Bland, Botetourt, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Highland, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pulaski, Rockbridge, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe.
West Virginia: All counties: Barbour, Berkeley, Boone, Braxton, Brooke, Cabell, Calhoun, Clay, Doddridge, Fayette, Gilmer, Grant, Greenbrier, Hampshire, Hancock, Hardy, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Kanawha, Lewis, Lincoln, Logan, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McDowell, Mercer, Mineral, Mingo, Monongalia, Monroe, Morgan, Nicholas, Ohio, Pendleton, Pleasants, Pocahontas, Preston, Putnam, Raleigh, Randolph, Ritchie, Roane, Summers, Taylor, Tucker, Tyler, Upshur, Wayne, Webster, Wetzel, Wirt, Wood, and Wyoming.
Arrowmont Visions Internship applications and further details regarding dates, submission materials and requirements can be found online at arrowmont.slideroom.com
Contact Kelly Hider, youth education program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865-436-5860 ex 31 with questions or for more information.