Current Employment Opportunities
TITLE: Lead Cook
REPORTS TO: Kitchen Manager
POSITION: Full-time, benefits eligible
EFFECTIVE: June 15, 2019
The Lead Cook is responsible for the preparation and service of all meals during their scheduled shift and some special event food service on campus. The Lead Cook will implement procedures and standards to ensure cost-effective, nutritious and tasty meals that are well-received by students, instructors and guests. The position assists in the development of menus and food orders within budgeted guidelines. The Lead Cook helps train and manage kitchen assistants and student work-studies to prepare meals on time, with minimal waste, within local, state and federal sanitation guidelines. Arrowmont serves three meals daily during National Workshop Seasons throughout the summer and fall, and for various programs, symposiums and conferences at other times during the year. During the off-season the position performs maintenance and housekeeping duties. The position reports to the Kitchen Manager. The position is a full-time position, year-round, and benefits eligible.
- Collaborates with Kitchen Manager in the development of menus for regular food service and special events, and developing food and grocery orders to support menus within budgeted guidelines.
- Implements procedures for effectively producing high-quality, tasty meals with minimum waste using staff and work-study students.
- Provides training to support staff, assistants and work-studies as needed to improve and maintain effective functioning of kitchen.
- Responsible for preparation and service of designated meals.
- Ensures kitchen is clean and food properly stored before leaving for the day.
- Maintains sanitation requirements of the kitchen and dining room, and all related equipment. Tests equipment regularly to ensure safety and functionality.
- Performs major housekeeping duties during the OFF-SEASON as needed – including but not limited to cleaning, landscaping, painting, or otherwise maintaining Arrowmont facilities.
- Assumes other responsibilities as may be appropriate for the position.
- Any other duty as assigned by management.
This position is physically demanding and requires the employee to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The position requires the ability to drive various types of vehicles. The employee must have a current driver’s license. The employee must have normal visual acuity at near and far distance with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The employee must be fluent in English. This position demands frequent exposure to inclement weather. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls, and must be able to communicate effectively. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects or boxes weighing up to 50 lbs. This position require the ability to work overtime and extended hours as the need arises.
All employees are expected to abide by the work rules as outlined in the employee handbook. Some of the actions prohibited in section 2.13 of the handbook include but are not limited to:
- Below average work quality or quantity
- Unauthorized breaks
- Insubordination including failure to comply with instructions or work given by supervisors
- Extensive use of telephone or computer for personal use
- Food service experience
- Supervisory or leadership experience
- Clear communication
- Enthusiastic, energetic, upbeat attitude
- Innovative and goal-oriented
To apply, please send a resume or CV, and a list of three professional references, or questions to Jenn Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org with the e-mail subject line as “Arrowmont Lead Cook.” Review of applications will begin immediately.